Housing repairs

Both landlords and tenants for keeping rented properties in good repair.

Landlords are normally responsible for repairs to:

  • The structure of the property
  • Sanitary fittings in the property and any permanent fittings
  • Heating and hot water systems
  • Damage arising from attempting repairs
  • Other hazards that may be identified such as fire alarms, broken handrails etc

Tenants have a duty to take reasonable care of the property and put right any damage caused by themselves  or their family/ friends.


What should I do when repairs are needed?

If you think repairs are required to the property you live in, you should contact your landlord or letting agency. They should be able to tell you when you can expect the repairs to be done. If they do not carry out the required repairs, you may be able to take court action or contact private sector housing for help.


Withholding your rent

If you withhold your rent your landlord may be able to take action against you, including seeking a court order to evict you. There may be occasion when you could offset rent against repairs the landlord has not undertaken but you should always seek legal advise as this could result in you losing your home.


What if repairs are not carried out?

If a landlord does not make repairs to remove hazards, you can ask the council to inspect the property under the Housing, Health and Safety Rating System and to take any action that is necessary. If we identify serious hazards, we must take enforcement action to ensure the hazard is removed. For less serious hazards, we may take enforcement action if considered necessary.

In these cases we must contact the landlord or letting agent to give notice that we will be carrying out the risk assessment. In most cases we will not take any further action until the landlord has been given the opportunity to address the problems.


Disrepair by owner occupiers

As an owner occupier the repair of your home is your responsibility. If you are struggling with the cost of a repair, then we may be able to help you with either Home Repair Assistance or an interest free Home Improvement Loan. Visit the council's website for details about the grants and loans available.