Money and debt advice

Support to manage finances

Debt support
  • Citizens Advice Bureau - helps people resolve their legal, money and other problems by providing free, independent and confidential advice.

  • National Debt Line - provides free confidential and independent advice on how to deal with debt problems.

  • Step Change Debt Charity - A registered charity offering free debt help to anyone in the UK who needs it.


There is plenty of free help and advice available to help you manage your money effectively, the links below are just a few that you may find helpful:

  • Money Made Clear Wales - Welsh Government backed website that has been set up to help you manage your money better.

  • Money Advice Service - Free, unbiased, independent advice and tools to help you manage your money better.

  • Turn2Us website – budgeting calculator

  • CAB Advice Line: 03444 77 20 20

Support for Caerphilly council tenants

If you have difficulty paying your rent and other bills and don't take action to deal with your financial difficulties, your debts will mount up and you may be at risk of losing your home, having important services cut off, losing your possessions or even going to prison.

We are here to help council tenants who are having problems in meeting their rent payments due to other financial commitments. We can arrange a FREE confidential session with an independent debt and money advisor for anyone in rent arrears or likely to get into arrears.

To arrange an appointment, contact the rents section on 01495 235600 or text RENTHELP to 81400 and a member of staff will call you back.


Financial support for families

Make sure you are getting all the benefits, grants and other financial help that is available to families.

  • Caerphilly Family Information Service provides free, impartial information and guidance on finding and choosing suitable childcare; funded early years education; Child and Working Tax Credits and family support. Contact the Family Information Service on 01443 863232.

  • Education financial support – a range of financial assistance is available to eligible students and parents of younger children of school age, visit the council's website for further details.

  • Tax credits – you may qualify for help towards the costs of childcare if you use a registered childminder. For more information please contact the Tax Credit Helpline on 0845 3003900 or visit the Tax Credits website.

  • Childcare vouchers – childcare costs are one of the biggest monthly outgoings for families, but it is possible to save on childcare costs via a voucher scheme that may be provided by your employer.

To find out if you are eligible and for further information on how the scheme works contact your employer or the Family Information Service on 01443 863232.

Other useful contacts:

  • Child Benefit Enquiry Line offers tax-free payment that you can claim for your child, available to anyone who qualifies regardless of income or savings. Call 0845 302 1444.

  • Child Maintenance Enforcement Commission - The Commission is a new Non-Departmental Public Body established to take responsibility for the child maintenance system in Great Britain.

  • Turn to us national charity that helps people in financial hardship gain access to welfare benefits, charitable grants and support services.


Household energy savings

If you are struggling to pay your fuel bills, contact your energy suppliers in the first instance. Most offer reduced tariffs for low-income or vulnerable people.

  • Home Heat helpline provides information and advice on reducing household bills

  • Nest Wales is a Welsh Government's scheme which aims to make homes warmer and more fuel-efficient

  • South East Wales Energy Advice Centre combat fuel poverty, poor health, and climate change through promoting and facilitating the adoption of energy efficiency and renewable energy technologies.

  • National Energy Action aims to eradicate fuel poverty and campaigns for greater investment in energy efficiency to help those who are poor and vulnerable.

  • Wales Energy Saving Trust provides independent advice on how to save energy in your home.


Helpu tariff from Welsh Water

If you’re a customer of Welsh Water and your total household income is £15,000 or less a year you may be entitled to up to 55% or an average of £250 off your water and sewerage bill with the new tariff from Welsh Water called Helpu. Visit the Welsh Water website for details and how to apply.


Benefit advice

It is important that you get all the benefits, tax credits and other financial help you are entitled to.

Housing benefit and council tax reduction

If you're on a low income you may be entitled to Housing benefit and a council tax reduction. Visit the council's website for details.

If you don't qualify for Council Tax Reduction, you may be entitled to other reductions in your bill. Visit the council's website for details.

Other national benefits and support:
  • GOV.UK gives an overview of benefits available.
  • Citizen's Advice Bureau website includes benefit listings.
  • Entitled to is an online calculator to help you determine what benefits you are entitled to.
  • Age UK also includes an online calculator to help older people work out what benefits they are entitled to.


Illegal Money Lending

The Wales Illegal Money Lending Unit (WIMLU) targets illegal money lenders, more commonly known as loan sharks. The unit looks into illegal lending and any related crimes as well as supporting victims. The perpetrators range from small time loan sharks to violent and organized criminals.

Illegal lending (loan sharking) is a criminal offence. Illegal money lenders operate without a license, often targeting vulnerable people.

  • Most loan sharks start out friendly, but their behaviour changes when payments are missed.

  • Few loan sharks advertise, and are often heard of by word of mouth.

  • Most loan sharks offer little or no paperwork

  • Quite often take cash cards/post office cards and pin numbers as collateral for loans.

To report a loan shark, please contact the WIMLU. The Unit operates a 24 hour hotline on 0300 123 3311 or email


Credit Unions

Credit unions are community organisations owned and managed by the members who use them and are regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.  Credit unions operate with three main aims, these are:

  • To encourage members to save regularly

  • To provide loans at low rates, and

  • To help members in need of financial advice and assistance

For further information go to the Credit Unions of Wales website or Money Advice Service Website.

Alternatively there are three Credit Unions operating in caerphilly borough, follow the links below to find out further information:


Management of your personal financial affairs

Our Client Finance and Property Team can apply to become deputy and/or appointee for an individual. The terms deputyship and appointeeship relate to the handling of someone else's finances. If awarded, we then receive the individual's income and make arrangements to pay their bills on their behalf. For example, gas, electric, water rates, telephone bills, residential fees etc.

As deputy, and always acting in the best interest of the individuals, we can clear the contents of their property, relinquish the tenancy or sell it on their behalf and invest any capital assets belonging to them.

Who can receive this assistance?

This service is available to individuals living in their own home (whether owned or rented within the community), living in supported accommodation or living in a residential or nursing home. Whatever their living arrangements, the following eligibility criteria must be met to receive this service:

The individual must be known to our social services department

  • The individual must be deemed 'mentally incapable' (by written medical opinion) of managing their own financial affairs and property

  •  There is no one else who is able or suitable to act as his or her appointee or court deputy, such as a relative, friend or solicitor. 

How would the individual have access to their finances?

Arrangements can be made for them to access personal spending money via:

  • A basic bank account with the use of a card and pin number

  • A staff member for example care manager or support worker collecting cash on their behalf. 

How to apply

If the individual concerned meets the criteria outlined above and you think we can help, please call the Adult Services Duty and Information Team (ASDIT) on 0808 100 2500.

Further information

For further information and advice about deputyship or appointeeship you can contact the Client Finance and Property Team on 01443 864640 or email cf&